The design from the Liaoya unit is something that grew on me over time. At first the huge sword seemed like a bit of an odd weapon in its universe with both heat and beam weaponry, but with a few tweaks to the color scheme I made it into a giant beam sword! To demonstrate its power, I created a mini diorama of Shenlong Gundam slicing through some debris, with some heat gradient effect. The end result turned out pretty well, and I’m considering turning it into a larger scale diorama in the future!
The kit comes with the standard MG Gundam wing inner frame which is decently articulated and allows for a good range of movement. Most of the weaponry included with the kit is quite heavy, including the sword, so there is a stand included to help support its weight. I have found that a figma stand works a bit better posing the since the base can connect to the stand and it allows for more dynamic posing. The sword and shield have a great gimmick with a retractable wire in which excess wire can be stored inside the shield and spun back out when needed. It’s really an impressive gimmick for a slightly modified existing kit!
Since I’m a bigger fan of the Endless Waltz/Altron colors, I decided to give this kit a color scheme similar to those. The end result of both pre-shading black and post-shading white for the greens came out extremely well and made for a hell of a photo shoot; check out the full gallery of poses!
Cutting through debris
- Sword has a neat wire gimmick with the shield that works well
- Kit has pretty good articulation
- Great panel lining and detailing opportunities
- Stand that comes included for the sword isn’t articulated; Use a figma one instead!
- No updated design leads to a lot of fallen skirts and limbs when posing
- P-Bandai prices
- Green: Preshade w/ Black then 90%Bright Green+10% RLM82 Light Green. After mixing, added unspecified amount of white to adjust the shade of green accordingly. Added White for highlights
- Light(er) Green: Preshade w/ Black then 70%Bright Green+20% RLM82 Light Green+10% White. Added white for highlights
- Flourescent green: 80% Flourescent green+20%White
- White: Intermediate Blue (60%) + white (40%) preshade. Then White (100%)
- Red: Preshade w/ black then 100% Wine red, then add a yellow for highlights
- Yellow: Mr. Color 113 – RLM04 Yellow
- Grey: 90% dark grey+10% white. Added white for highlights
- Copper: Mr Metal Color 215 Copper
- Tamiya TS 100, Bright gun metal
- Tamiya TS 30 Silver Leaf