I’m pleased to reveal my first contest entry as part of Newtype HQ’s 2020 Bracket challenge! Obviously I took a lot of influence from Gundam Thunderbolt; the inspiration for the build came to me when i saw the booster and shield 30mm add ons!
This build took a lot of masking and hand painting to replicate the color scheme of the FA-78. Luckily, I was able to use much of the same color combinations I used for that build! The 30mm kits look veeery similar to GMs and zakus so I added a v fin from an add-on kit to give it a “gundam” look. Additionally, I used several of the add on kits including purchasing 3 of the close quarters battle option armors in order to get 3 shields. Thankfully, 30mm kits are comparatively cheap and serve as a good introduction into kitbashing because of the part compatibility between kits.
EDIT: I won! Thank you all for your support in this competition! 🏆
Being my first competition entry, I’m not expecting to win, but it would be nice to place! I encourage everyone to check out the builds and vote even if its not for my build! There are plenty of awesome builds to choose from! Best of luck to all the participants!
- Kit is easy to assemble and can be easily customized (much like build fighter kits)
- Great price point
- Good articulation for a cheap kit
- Customizing using different kits and armor add-ons means you’ll have to paint to make the color scheme look uniform
- Current frames a bit TOO similar to GMs and zakus in design
- Dark Blue: 60% Blue FS15050+20% colbalt blue+ 20%wine red+few drops of black. Added white for highlights
- Orange: Base coat of Orange, then add white for preshade. Then 70% Orange Yellow + 30% Yellow with drops of white added for highlight
- White: 80% intermediate blue+20%white preshade followed by Gaia steel white
- Red: Black preshade then 50%Wine red+50% Gaia bright red. Added yellow for post shade
- Dark Grey: At first used 60% gaia neutral gray 3 40%+ dark seagrey (mr color 331) but was too light. Added 50% gaia flat black to to that mix
- Black: Gaia flat black 80%+ Gaia neutral grey III 20%. Then flat black 60%+ Neutral grey III 40% to highlight
- Tamiya TS 100, Bright gun metal
- 30mm bEXM -15 Portnova
- 30mm eEXM-17 Alto
- 30mm close quarters battle option armor x3
- EZ-8 EZ-arms parts (just missile pod)
- 30mm Option parts set 1
- Beam saber from HGAC Leo kit
- 30mm Option Backpack 2