MG WING GUNDAM PROTO ZERO
Growing up, Gundam Wing was one of my favorite animes that I tuned into regularly on Toonami. I fondly remember the HG 1/100 Proto Zero (or Wing Zero at the time) being my first kit I made back then. Though it looked nice, I was frustrated that the result looked no where near as good as the box art. Nearly 15 years later, I never thought I’d be making another Proto Zero, this time the 2013 MG version.
Aesthetically, the EW version doesn’t stray too far from the original design, but has some neat additions such as movable armor plates and the improved wing binders. The kit has pretty good articulation in the legs and wings, but suffers a bit when trying to hold up the full weight of the buster rifle in one hand. Another issue is that the body cannot fully support the weight of the wing binders so it tends to slouch when not in use with a stand. However, I prefer the look of the Proto Zero over the Wing Zero EW (or Wing Zero Custom back in the day) due to its more grounded nature. The improved Katoki proportions will make this an excellent choice for old and new Gundam Wing fans alike.
Kit review and build details following the image gallery. Enjoy!
Beam Saber photos:
Buster Rifle photos:
- Improved gimmicks: movable armor plates and wing binders
- Lots of details to panel line
- improved proportions over the 1/100 HG
- Good amount of articulation in legs and arms
- Arms/wrist can’t hold up the weight of the buster rifle in one hand
- Body can’t hold up the weight of the wings fully without a stand
- Tamiya TS 44, Brilliant Blue
- Tamiya TS 39, Mica Red
- Tamiya TS 34, Camel yellow
- Tamiya TS 38, gun metal
- Mr. Color S13, Neutral Gray